Saturday, August 15, 2009

I guess we'll just have to adjust...

As my departure gets closer and closer and as I say goodbye to each of my friends as they leave for school, I can't help imagining what my college experience is going to be like and how different it is going to be from that of my friends. I just feel so different about college than all of my other friends. They're busy worrying about getting weird/bad roommates, about frat parties and Greek life, about deciding on majors, and I don't have to worry about any of that. I've already decided on my major (social sciences), the drinking age is 16 in Germany (plus there's no Greek life at Jacobs...), and I'm going to have my own separate bedroom. I'm more worried about bigger issues, like how I'm going to get my money there, about having the right documents to get a residence permit and German health insurance, about the language barrier that will exist off campus. It really is almost a completely different world--I really am on "the other side" of things.

At times I wonder if I'm going to be missing anything or if I'll ever wish I had gone to a US school. But then I also balance that with all the amazing opportunities I'll have instead (travel, mostly) and I feel a lot better about my decision. I just hope everything works out and that I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment